You are considered a transfer student if you have previously enrolled at another college (or colleges) and have declared an intent to pursue an associate degree or certificate at CCV, even if you’re still undecided on a specific major. In order to use most financial aid programs, you are required to be pursuing a degree or certificate. If you are currently enrolled at a college outside the Vermont State Colleges System and do not intend to withdraw from your college, apply as a Continuing Education Student. Current Vermont State Colleges students (Castleton, Northern Vermont University, and Vermont Tech) who want to take CCV classes without leaving their current college do NOT need to apply.

Transfer to CCV

After you apply for admission, we will review your application and contact you via email to explain your specific next steps. In the meantime, we recommend you do the following:

  • Submit official transcripts directly from each of your previous colleges to the CCV Registrar (CCV Transcript Clerk, PO Box 489, Montpelier, VT 05601). Transcripts can also be emailed if sent directly from the college’s records office to Upon receipt, we will review them for potential waiver of the skills assessment and transfer credits. Transcripts should be sent directly to CCV from each previous college.
  • Schedule a New Student Appointment with an academic advisor to discuss your goals and specific steps for enrolling. Contact your preferred CCV academic center to schedule this meeting. If you have already completed a college degree, your CCV academic advisor can also help you create your Second Degree Plan (after all official transcripts are received).
  • Complete your skills assessment. This assessment is used to help you select the classes most appropriate to your academic skills and is offered, by appointment, at all CCV locations. Official SAT or ACT scores that are less than three years old may be submitted for review instead.
  • Consider your payment options including applying for financial aid (grants, loans, and scholarships).
  • Browse our schedule of courses and important dates.

If you have questions, please call your nearest CCV academic center or email us.

Transcripts are not needed if all courses were completed within the Vermont State Colleges System (Castleton, Northern Vermont University, and Vermont Tech) during or after the summer of 2002.

CCV accepts most credits earned at/gained through:

  • accredited colleges and universities
  • Prior Learning Assessment
  • CLEP or DANTES examinations
  • CEEB Advanced Placement examinations
  • certain vocational programs

Regardless of how many credits you transfer to CCV, you must successfully complete a minimum of 15 CCV credits to earn an associate degree at Community College of Vermont.

International Credit: College coursework completed outside of the United States and Canada* must be evaluated by an external agency before it can be transferred to CCV. This evaluation can be completed by any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. For a complete list, visit All charge a fee based on the extent of the education to be evaluated. CCV does not endorse any particular service. When requesting your evaluation, it is important that you request a course-by-course evaluation so that your international classes can be transferred for specific CCV credit.

*Canadian transcripts must be submitted in English.

Ready to get started?

Apply today or contact us with any questions.