Important Notes Before You Apply as an International Student

Degrees Offered at CCV

CCV awards associate degrees and certificates only. An associate degree is an undergraduate degree awarded upon completion of study of approximately 60 credits. This degree typically takes two years to complete. A certificate is not a degree; it is a program that prepares students for entry into a particular field. Certificate programs at CCV generally take one to one and a half years to complete. View our catalog to learn more about our degree and certificate programs.

This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students.

F-1 Student Visa Status

Generally, international students at CCV studying and earning a degree are F-1 student visa holders.

It is illegal to take for-credit courses toward a full course of study on either a B-1/B-2 tourist visa or an F-2 non-immigrant visa. F-2 non-immigrant visa holders may study at CCV up to 6 credits (part-time).

CCV Courses & Locations

As an international student, you will be required to enroll and complete 12 credits every fall and spring at CCV. You are only allowed one class (or 3 credits) of online coursework per semester.

You must select a program of study that offers little to no online coursework; this means you must select a CCV location which can deliver traditional, in-person courses in a classroom setting. CCV has 12 locations statewide; however, our larger academic centers can best support this need. These centers are located in Winooski, Rutland, and Montpelier. View all of CCV’s locations around Vermont.

Approximate Cost of Attendance (2019-2020):

Tuition & Fees: $17,000 USD
Expenses: $10,000 USD
Books/Supplies/Transport/Computer Costs: $3,000 USD
TOTAL you should expect to spend each year: $30,000 USD
**Please note that every year the costs increase by approximately 2-3%. Please plan accordingly.**

International Student Financial Aid & Employment in the U.S.

Currently CCV does not offer financial aid in the form of grants or scholarships to international students. On-campus employment is extremely limited and off-campus employment is illegal for unauthorized F-1 students. Please do not expect that on-campus employment will fund your expenses while you are studying in the U.S.


CCV is not a residential campus. International students are expected to obtain their own housing through private inquiry. CCV must see evidence of acquired housing before the student arrives for classes.

Medical Insurance

The cost of healthcare in the United States is expensive. As a prospective F-1 student, CCV strongly encourages you to have health insurance in case you need care in the United States. It is recommended that your insurance has the minimum coverage and conditions:

The Minimum Coverage:

  •  Medical benefits – at least $50,000 per accident or illness/per person
  •  Repatriation of remains – at least $7,500
  •  Medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to their home country – $10,000
  •  A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

The Minimum Conditions:

  • May require a waiting period for pre-existing conditions which is reasonable.
  • May include provision for co-insurance in which you pay up to 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness.
  • May not exclude the perils of studying abroad in the United States.

The Minimum Grade of Insurance/Approved Companies are:

  • underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. Best rating of “A-” or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-i” or above, a Standard & Poor’s Claims-paying Ability rating of “A-” or above, a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above; or
  • backed by the full faith and credit of the government of your home country; or
  • part of a health benefits program offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor; or
  • offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or eligible Competitive Medical Plan (CMP) as determined by the Health Care Financing Administration of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

CCV recommends that you review the following links below to get started:

How to Apply as an International Student – Required Documents

  1. Submit our free application for admission. Please use your permanent home address in your country and leave the social security number fields blank.
  2. Once your application has been submitted, you will be contacted via email with additional information regarding the admissions and Form I-20 processes.
  3. The following additional documents need to be submitted for you to be considered for admission and immigration purposes:
  • An application for Form I-20: The Form I-20 is CCV’s certification to the U.S. government that you are eligible to be an F-1 student according to the law. The Form I-20 verifies that you have been accepted to CCV and that you have the necessary funds to support yourself while in the United States. As an international student, you must have a properly issued Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 student visa at your closest U.S. embassy or consulate. Download Form I-20 Application.
  • Evidence of financial support for your studies: Students studying on an F-1 visa are required to enroll full-time (12 credits per semester) and must demonstrate how they intend to pay for their studies while they are in the United States. Estimated yearly costs for tuition, fees, and living expenses are currently $30,000 USD plus $6,000 per spouse and $4,000 per child. Current federal immigration regulations require students to provide certification of finances, usually a bank statement showing actual account balances, deposits and withdrawals. We will also accept an affidavit and bank statements from a sponsor who would provide some or all of this support. Download Affidavit of Support Sample Letter here.
  • TOEFL or IELTS Scores: Those applying to CCV for a student visa must exhibit sufficient English language skills. The TOEFL is the test that CCV uses to measure those English language skills. TOEFL scores should be sent directly to CCV from the Educational Testing Service. You will need to enter CCV’s code, 3286, on your test application to have the results directly sent to CCV. CCV’s minimum scores are 80 (computer-based) and 550 (paper-based). You may also send us IELTS scores (all scores must be equivalent to a 6.0 with no sub scores below 5.0).
  • Accuplacer Assessment Scores: If you are already residing in Vermont, you are able to take the Accuplacer Assessments at any CCV academic center instead (499 composite score on reading and writing, with neither score below 249).
  • Scans of official transcripts showing that you have obtained an equivalent of a U.S. high school degree.
  • Coursework in the U.S./Canada: Official transcripts from any previous high school, college, or university coursework in the United States and/or Canada.
  • Coursework outside of the U.S./Canada: Scans of any previous high school, college, or university coursework will be considered. If accepted by CCV, you will have the option to have your college/university-level coursework evaluated for potential transfer credits. We recommend you bring official transcripts in sealed envelopes and course syllabi/course descriptions with you when you travel to the U.S. to attend CCV.
  • Copies of the information page of your passport, your current U.S. visa (if you already have one), your current I-94A, stamp in your passport, or printout (if you already have one), and your most current I-20/DS-2019 or USCIS immigration forms (if you have them).

Once all documents have been submitted, your application will be reviewed and a determination will be made as to whether or not you will be admitted to CCV. If you are accepted to CCV, the I-20 process will begin.

If you would like more information about international admissions at CCV, please contact Admissions Specialist, Karrie DeMers at or +1-802-654-0557.

Ready to get started?

Apply today or contact us with any questions.