Students in college do better when they connect with other students. At CCV those connections most often happen in our 12 Learning & Career Centers located in each of our academic centers. As a CCV student, you may use a Learning & Career Center at any CCV location. Each Learning & Career Center features Academic Mentors who support you with assignments and study habits; they also guide you through coursework and promote confidence, motivation, and academic success.
Academic Mentors help you with a variety of subjects and skills including:
- Academic Skills & Habits: develop learning strategies that work for you and overcome barriers to success.
- Writing: advance your skills in all facets of writing, including brainstorming and prewriting strategies; proficiency with grammar and punctuation; incorporating paraphrases, quotations, and citations; and paragraphing, organization, and thesis development.
- Math: find support to learn math skills developed in many CCV courses – from Foundations of Mathematics through Applied Mathematical Concepts, with additional resources for advanced math courses and quantitative reasoning skills, e.g. reading graphs and charts, making estimates.
- Computers: gain competence managing files and using software such as word processing, spreadsheets, and PowerPoint.
- CCV’s Portal Navigation: activate your account and learn to navigate CCV’s portal to access college information, CCV email, resources, and services.
- Online Learning/Moodle: understand the common features used in both online and in-person classes including how to upload assignments, post in a discussion forum, and check your gradebook.
- Library Skills: acquire basic library skills to access books, full-text articles, and online reference resources at Hartness Library.
- Research Techniques and Proper Citation: learn appropriate use of resources in academic research and writing; receive guidance in MLA and APA documentation.
- Referrals: identify and contact professionals such as CCV librarians and other experts to assist with specific needs.
- Strategic Classroom Support: use and access additional learning assistance such as eTutoring and online resources.
Additionally, Career Consultants are available to all students for career services. Visit your nearest CCV location page for hours, academic mentor schedules, availability of career consultant, as well as available subject areas.