Looking for help with your classes?
You can choose to access subject-specific tutoring 24/7 through Tutor.com, or you can connect with an academic mentor through CCV’s Learning Centers.
Option 1: Academic Mentoring, in person or via Zoom
Academic mentors are available to support you with assignments and study habits. They can guide you through course work and promote confidence, motivation, autonomy, and academic achievement; and mentors can assist you with accessing services such as Tutor.com, Canvas, and academic advising.
The purpose of the academic mentoring provided through CCV Learning Centers is to:
- Promote independent learning
- Support you in recognizing learning strengths & identifying academic strategies that work for you
- Model successful learning habits
- Connect you to helpful learning support resources
In-person mentoring is available in Winooski this spring. Drop-in academic mentoring is available in Montpelier, Rutland, and anywhere via Learning Center Online Live. View the drop-in academic mentoring schedules:
Connect with an academic mentor in Montpelier and find resources to help you succeed. Mentors support students to overcome challenges and stay on track in an online learning environment.Learn More
Learning Center Online Live
Learning Center Online Live offers drop-in academic mentoring via Zoom. Access this service through the Learning Center Online Live tile in the Portal.Learn More
Connect with an academic mentor in Rutland and find resources to help you succeed. Mentors support students to overcome challenges and stay on track in an online learning environment.Learn More
Academic mentors help you develop a variety of skills, including:
- Academic Skills & Habits: develop learning strategies that work for you, and overcome barriers to success.
- Writing: advance your skills in all facets of writing, including brainstorming and prewriting strategies; proficiency with grammar and punctuation; incorporating paraphrases, quotations, and citations; and paragraphing, organization, and thesis development.
- Math: find support to learn math skills developed in many CCV courses – from Foundations of Mathematics through Applied Mathematical Concepts, with additional resources for advanced math courses and quantitative reasoning skills, e.g., reading graphs and charts, making estimates.
- Microsoft Office Proficiency: gain competence managing files and using software such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- CCV’s Portal Navigation: activate your account and learn to navigate CCV’s portal to access College information, CCV email, resources, and services.
- Online Learning/Canvas: understand the common features used in both online and in-person classes including how to upload assignments, post in a discussion forum, and check your gradebook.
- Library Skills: acquire basic library skills to access books, full-text articles, and online reference resources at Hartness Library.
- Research Techniques and Proper Citation: learn appropriate use of resources in academic research and writing; receive guidance in MLA and APA documentation.
- Strategic Classroom Support: use and access additional learning assistance such as Tutor.com and online resources.
To schedule an academic mentoring appointment, please complete the request form.
Option 2: Tutor.com
For subject-specific, one-on-one tutoring available 24 hours a day, access Tutor.com through your course Canvas page.
Get immediate support or drop off an essay for review. You can be talking to a tutor within minutes, at any time of day or night, or have an essay response within 12 hours. Students who use this service say they earn better grades, feel more confident, and are able to reach their goals sooner.
When you sign in to Tutor.com, you’ll be able to:
- Connect with over 3,000 qualified tutors 24/7
- View replays and transcripts of previous sessions
- Drop off an essay for review and feedback
- Save your favorite tutors and set up tutoring appointments
- Take free practice quizzes to assess your skills
- Access tutoring help from your computer, mobile phone, or tablet
Learning Centers: The Space
CCV Learning Centers provide a welcoming environment for students to get the academic support they need. Each of our academic centers offers students access to computer labs and study areas, providing open and friendly spaces for studying, one-on-one or group assistance, and study groups.