- Start by attending a New Student Advising appointment. At this session, you will meet with an academic advisor to learn about the admissions process, skills assessments, and the services that will support your success.
- Schedule and complete the free Accuplacer assessment to take a snapshot of your reading, writing and math skills – be sure to practice ahead of time.
- Next, complete a quick course selection survey (PDF) about your attitudes, behaviors, and commitments.
- Finally, you’ll use your assessment results to select the reading, writing and math classes most appropriate to your academic skills. Your advisor will help you with the decision—providing you with additional information, making recommendations, and answering any questions or concerns you might have.
New Student Advising appointments and Accuplacer assessment are offered, by appointment, at all CCV locations.
Note: Most new students are required to complete the skills assessment. You may be able to waive the assessment if one of the following situations applies to you:
- Transfer students: All official college transcripts received by CCV are reviewed for a
potential waiver of assessment upon receipt. For information on submitting
your official transcripts, which is required for all transfer applicants, visit the transfer student page.
- Continuing Education applicants: An advisor may waive the assessments if you
present an official or unofficial college transcript that demonstrates the background necessary for your chosen course(s).
- Continuing Education applicants with a college degree: The assessment will automatically be waived in the application process.
- Applicants with SAT or ACT scores: CCV does not require SAT or ACT scores but a CCV advisor may waive the requirement to take the skills assessment if you have SAT or ACT scores that are less than three years old and meet the following score levels:
- New SAT (Taken March 2016 or later): Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of 480 or higher; Math score of 530 or higher
- Old SAT (Taken before March 2016): Critical Reading and Writing scores of 430 or higher; Math score of 500 or higher
- ACT: English and Math scores of 22 or higher; Reading score of 18 or higher
- Intro to College Studies students: High school students who plan to only take ICS during their first semester do not need to take the skills assessment before signing up for the course. Instead, you will take the complete assessment during the course.
Practice is important! To do so, you can use the free official Accuplacer Study App. You can also review samples of Accuplacer questions at the College Board website (PDF). Note: On the Study App, choose the “Classic Practice Tests” for your test version. In most cases, CCV administers: Sentence Skills, Reading Comprehension, Arithmetic, and Elementary Algebra.
For basic math brush-up:
- Take this self-paced tutorial (Portal login needed)—which integrates free Khan Academy resources—to get a quick refresher on the topics connected to arithmetic and test your knowledge!
For basic algebra brush-up:
- Take this self-paced tutorial (Portal login needed)—which integrates free Khan Academy resources—to get a quick refresher on the topics connected to algebra and test your knowledge!
More tips for success:
- Take the skills assessment sections on multiple visits; you don’t have to take them all at once.
- Get plenty of rest the night before.
- Relax and take your time; there is no time limit.
Can’t come to CCV for your assessment?
For out-of-state students or anyone unable to schedule an Accuplacer appointment during normal business hours, remote Accuplacer assessments are available through B Virtual, an online proctoring service. Accuplacers can be scheduled at your convenience, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To use this service, you must have a computer, webcam, and a high-speed internet connection. The fee for this service is $25, payable directly to B Virtual. (There is no charge for Accuplacers taken at a CCV location). Please contact Jennifer Barrett at Jennifer.email@example.com or 802-654-0557 at least one week in advance to find out more about this service.