Apply For and Use Benefits

Image of calculatorBenefits pay for some or all of your educational expenses, which include tuition, fees, materials, supplies, books, and parking. Some benefits also come with a monthly housing allowance. There are two sources of military benefits: The Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) and the Department of Defense (DoD). VA benefits are called the GI Bill® (use the GI Bill Comparison Tool to explore) and DoD benefits are called “Tuition Assistance” and “MyCAA.” Payment received by the VA and/or DoD may not, under any circumstances, exceed 100% of the cost of student tuition and fees.

We know that navigating all these benefits, options, decisions, and applications can be confusing, but you are not doing this alone. CCV staff members have worked with many students to secure their benefits. We are here to help. Contact your Veteran & Military Resource Advisor for assistance.

Additionally, you can always track and manage all your benefits, including your education benefits, on the VA/DOD eBenefits website. Military records, including DD214, can be obtained through the federal Military Service Records office.

Veterans AdministrationDepartment of Defense
If you have never before used veteran education benefits, you need to apply online (for all benefits except Chapter 35) through the link. Ideally six to eight weeks prior to registering for classes. To complete the form you may need to upload documentation such as your most recent DD214 and/or a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).

To apply for Chapter 35 benefits, you need to complete VA Form 22-5490 Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance and submit it to the appropriate VA regional office (for Vermont, that is the Buffalo, NY office).

If you have previously applied to use veteran education benefits (for all benefits except Chapter 35) at another college, please use VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training to transfer your benefits to CCV.

To transfer Chapter 35 benefits to CCV, you need to complete VA Form 22-5495 Dependents’ Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.

The GI Bill Help Desk is a great place to find FAQs; you can also call the Help Desk at 1-888-GI- BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) with questions.

Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill
Chapter 31, VA Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E)
Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill
Chapter 35, Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
Chapter 1606, Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve

In order to activate your Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607) benefits, you must submit a Request for Enrollment Certification to your CCV Certifying Official each time you add or drop a class.

Additionally, you must verify your attendance monthly using Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE), or you will not receive your check from the VA

Know Your Responsibilities to avoid costly mistakes.

Tuition Assistance DECIDE – Deparment of Defense Comparison Tool

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit for eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members.

Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, application process, and restrictions. This money is paid directly to CCV by the individual services. For service specific information, please see the links below.

Contact your Education Services Officer (ESO) for information specific to your circumstances.

To utilize Tuition Assistance, you will need to work with your CCV Academic Advisor to complete a projected degree plan, which you will upload as part of the Tuition Assistance application.

My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA)

The MyCAA Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible spouses. The scholarship helps military spouses pursue training and education necessary to gain employment in high-demand, high-growth portable career fields and occupations. CCV is an approved institution for the MyCAA Scholarship program.

To determine eligibility visit the MyCAA Spouse Portal and provide the required Spouse Profile information or call 1-800-342-9647 to speak with a MyCAA Career and Education Consultant.

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at

Vermont Map

CCV – Vermont Is Our Campus

No matter where you live in Vermont, a CCV Academic Center is close to you!

  • “When I started at CCV I was nervous, but once I started taking classes it was fine. It’s a really great environment and the advisors are all really good.”

    Justin Mason CCV-Newport