Dear early childhood and afterschool professionals,
I am delighted to announce that beginning in January 2018, the Northern Lights Career Development Center will become Northern Lights at CCV. Northern Lights at CCV will build on more than ten years of experience to continue offering key professional development services for the early childhood and afterschool workforce.
New in 2018, Northern Lights at CCV will offer:
- High-quality trainings available at all 12 CCV academic centers;
- Career advising and technical assistance provided by our Resource Advisors; and
- Friendly phone and email support for questions about your BFIS Quality and Credential account and general questions about professional development.
We will continue to offer support with competencies, credentials, career ladder level certificates, the Vermont Instructor Registry, the M.A.T.C.H. Registry, and much more.
We recently announced the list of training topics that will be offered by Northern Lights at CCV in 2018, as well as the Fundamentals course calendar for 2018. You will see on the Fundamentals calendar that we will offer a hybrid version of Fundamentals in multiple locations. Hybrid Fundamentals courses consist of 25 hours of in-person training and 20 hours of online, self-directed training.
All Northern Lights at CCV trainings will be offered across the state at each of CCV’s 12 centers or other locations based on available space and need. We will release details including training dates and how to register on the CCV and Northern Lights websites as soon as they are confirmed. All Northern Lights at CCV trainings will be added to the BFIS Course Calendar and will be taught by Northern Lights at CCV trainers. If you are interested in working for us as a trainer, please visit this link to see openings and to apply. More positions will be added as they become available.
I am pleased to announce we are building a new Northern Lights at CCV website. This site will include all the essential details from our existing website in an intuitive and user-friendly format. Until the new site launches in early 2018, you will be able to access all of our online resources via the existing Northern Lights website.
We are incredibly excited about the new Resource Advisor positions; four full-time Resource Advisors will provide high-quality career advising and technical assistance across the state beginning January 2nd. They will be available to support you in many ways, including helping you find trainings in your area. The list of CCV academic centers is below, along with the name of the Resource Advisor who will be supporting early childhood and afterschool professionals in each area:
Bennington – Amelia Struthers
Brattleboro – Amelia Struthers
Middlebury – Adri Taylo-Behrman
Montpelier – Joanne Rouleau
Morrisville – Sara LeBlanc
Newport – Joanne Rouleau
Rutland – Amelia Struthers
Springfield – Amelia Struthers
St. Albans – Sara LeBlanc
St. Johnsbury – Joanne Rouleau
Upper Valley – Sunnie McPhetres
Winooski – Adri Taylo-Behrman
We will be sharing the contact information for the Resource Advisors as soon as they start their work on Tuesday, January 2nd. Please note that CCV is closed from December 23, 2017 through January 1, 2018, so Northern Lights at CCV staff will not be available at that time. We are very excited to get our program up and running as soon as we return in January.
I would like to end with some information about how to find in-person and online trainings, and what options exist to support your training needs as we transition into 2018.
- Until December 31st, one great place to receive support with professional development is the PD hotline at Vermont Birth to Five. You can reach them at 802-540-8168 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The best place to search for trainings in your region or across the state is by searching the BFIS Course Calendar. I encourage you to check the calendar regularly as more trainings are being added all the time.
- If you’re interested in participating in self-directed online trainings, there are more than 1,000 hours of training available from approved online sponsors. Click here to learn more and to find trainings.
- Our Senior Administrative Assistant, Rhys Morris (pronounced “Reese”) is available during business hours at (802) 828-2878 or email@example.com. He is very happy to answer questions about BFIS Quality and Credential accounts and other professional development topics.
I appreciate the time spent with many of you as I travelled around the state during the past seven months. I am grateful for the feedback you shared with me and I look forward to continuing to work together in the future.
Becky Millard, Director
Northern Lights at CCV