Payments & Certification


Benefit payments are made directly to students (except for FED TA and the tuition and fees for CH 31 and 33 students). The payment is made to you for the exact number of days you are certified for the month. If you are certified for a whole month, the full monthly benefit is paid. If you are only certified for part of the month, the benefit is prorated.

Payment usually comes between the first and fifteenth of each month and is paid for the previous month. The VA does not consider a payment is late until after the tenth of the month. Inquiries may be made directly with the VA at 888-442-4551. At the main menu, press option 1 then option 0. CCV does not have information on the status of your payments from the VA.

Your GI Bill money is tax-free. It is not declarable for income tax purposes (non-taxable income), but it is for any financial aid assistance.

Your Responsibilities to Ensure a Correct and Timely Payment

  1. Establish a direct deposit account with the VA.
  2. Bring this Request for Enrollment Certification form with you to your advising appointment. Ask your advisor to sign the form to verify that your enrolled courses meet your CCV program requirements. You can only be certified for classes which fulfill a specific degree requirement in your degree program. If using Chapter 33 benefits you must take 7 or more credits to receive a housing allowance. A delay in submitting the form will cause a delay in your certification, and thus, your payment.
  3. Attend classes.
  4. Self-certify at the end of each month (for all chapters other than 33, 35 and 31).
  5. Notify your CCV VA Certification Official of any changes to your class schedule or personal information.
  6. Remember to read anything the VA sends you thoroughly. This might eliminate any problems with pay.
  7. Apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program if you are 100% CH33 eligible and are an out-of-state student.

Retroactive Benefits

VA benefits can be paid for enrollments up to one year before the date the VA receives a student’s application. The date stamp put on the student’s application determines the one-year date.

Chapter 35 retroactive benefits may be handled differently and may exceed one year. Students should contact the VA directly for information about this option.


Veteran students who receive benefits under Chapters 30, 1606 or 1607 must verify their enrollment each month (students under Chapter 35-dependents or Chapter 33-Post 9/11 GI Bill do NOT self-certify). These students will receive an award letter from the VA Regional Processing Center in Buffalo, NY. Once this is received, the student can self-certify. The earliest this can be done is the last day of the month. Monthly verification (self-certification) can be done via one of the following two ways:

  • Telephone – Using Interactive Voice Response (IVR): 1-877-823-2378
  • Internet – WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment):

Failure to self-certify will cause your benefits to stop. You must do this every month or you will not get paid! Federal holidays may delay receipt of the Student Verification of Enrollment and/or your check.

Change of Address and Direct Deposit

Direct deposit of VA educational benefits payment is now available for Chapter 30, 33, 1606 and 1607 recipients. This program speeds up education and work study payments. It also decreases the chance of missing, lost, or stolen checks. Students may request direct deposit through the VA by calling the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

The VA requires you to provide your VA file number, 9-digit bank routing number, and checking/savings account number. You must keep your address current. Even if you have direct deposit, you still need to keep your address current because all other correspondence including award letters are mailed to your address. The fastest way to change an address is to call the VA directly at 888-442-4551.

Benefit Rate of Pay

CHAPTER 30, 1606, 1607 and 35:
The rate of pay depends on the number of credits that are certified (required classes on your VA educational plan) as shown below:

Full Time 3/4 Time 1/2 Time
Fall/Spring 12.0+ 9.0-11.5 6.0-8.5
Summer 9.0+ 7.0-8.5 5.0-6.5

Students enrolled less than 1/2 time will only receive funds for the cost of tuition and fees.

Students are paid at a monthly rate set by the Department of Veteran Affairs, which can be found on their website at

Vermont Map

CCV – Vermont Is Our Campus

No matter where you live in Vermont, a CCV Academic Center is close to you!

  • “CCV is a place for me to broaden my horizons and experience cultural diversity in its most basic forms. It’s a true place of unity.”

    Michael Thomas-Adam CCV-Winooski