Frequently Asked Questions

Can students studying on a F-1 visa use financial aid at CCV?

No. Students who are attending CCV on a F-1 visa are not able to use financial aid. As an F-1 visa student, are required to show that they are able to financially support yourself while engaged in study. The F-1 visa status also prohibits students from being employed.

Can students studying on a F-1 visa be employed?

No. The federal government prohibits students attending college on a student visa from working. This is why schools require financial documentation for admission to ensure that you can financially support yourself while studying at an American college. However, when you are close to completing your degree, you can apply for Optional Practical Training or OPT.

What is Optional Practical Training or OPT?

OPT permits you to work in the United States for up to 1 year after graduating from college. Your employment must directly relate to your field of study at CCV. Your request for OPT must be made through the school’s designated official at least 3 months before you graduate. Further steps will be required and you can contact Chiara Carmolli-Anderson with questions.

Can international students take online classes?

International students are required to take a minimum of 12 credits each semester. Of those 12 credits, 3 of them can be taken online. That means 1 of your 4 classes can be an online class.

Do I need a certain type of visa to take classes at CCV?

Many students study at CCV with an F-1 (or student) visa but this list will show that you can take classes with several other types of visas.

How many credits do I have to take each semester while on an F-1 visa?

F-1 visa holders need to be full time students, so you must take a minimum of 12 credits each semester. Attendance during the summer semester is not mandatory, so you would not have to be full time then.

Can I travel while on break from classes?

Yes, you can travel during the time when you are not in classes but you must notify CCV that you are traveling. Any kind of international travel will require CCV to issue you an updated I-20.

Housing & Location

Does CCV offer housing?

CCV is not a residential college and does not offer student housing. There are many options for finding affordable housing near your CCV location.

Where is CCV located?

All of Vermont is CCV’s campus! CCV has 12 individual locations throughout the state, plus online learning. You are never more than 25 miles from one of CCV’s academic centers. Find the location closest to you.


What are the TOEFLs and do I need to take them?

The TOEFLs are a standardized assessment CCV uses to measure English language skills. The TOEFLs can be administered online or they can be paper based. The TOEFL is an admissions requirement for all international students. More information is available on the TOEFL website.

Is there a passing score for the TOEFLs?

There is no pass or fail score for the TOEFLs. CCV does have a required minimum score. If you take the TOEFL online, the minimum score is 80. If you take the paper based TOEFL, the minimum score is 550.

Do I have to take the TOEFLs if I am already in Vermont?

No. If you are currently residing in Vermont, visit your closest CCV academic center and take the skills assessment instead.

Health Insurance

Does CCV offer student health insurance?

No, CCV does not offer student health insurance.

Vermont Map

CCV – Vermont Is Our Campus

No matter where you live in Vermont, a CCV Academic Center is close to you!

  • "As I was teaching at CCV I found I was getting the most from my students when we were out in the field – they really responded to that learning style – so I helped to develop classes in the environmental science program that maximize hands-on-learning."

    Daniel Schmidt Environmental Science Faculty Member