Letter to Early Childhood Professionals

Dear Early Childhood Professionals,

First and foremost, thank you for your interest in this work to transform our early childhood professional development system. We are working hard to create a comprehensive system designed to provide a variety of opportunities across the state to meet the needs of professionals today and in the future. I believe the very best way to create this system is through conversations with many people across the field. Your voice and perspective about this work matters.

I wanted to introduce myself to those of you I may not have met yet. My name is Becky Millard and I am the new Director of the Early Childhood Professional Development System which will be housed at the Community College of Vermont. I hold an M.Ed in Early Childhood Education and have worked in a variety of roles in the early childhood field including as a teacher and director in center-based child care programs, director of programming for a non-profit overseeing multiple afterschool programs, and four years as a regional coordinator with Building Bright Futures. I am very excited to be stepping into this role and continuing the work to transform our early childhood professional development system to best meet the needs of those who depend on it.

Thanks to the hard work of many amazing people across Vermont, I believe we are headed toward incredibly positive changes in our professional development system. We are currently working toward offering an array of services starting in January of 2018 to help support the professional development needs of the early childhood workforce. I do think it is important to note at this point that it will take some time for us to make all the changes we wish to see in the professional development system. I believe that creating a good process and including many voices is the most effective way for us to build the right system to meet our needs today and into the future and we would like to hear from you.

Systems do exactly what they are designed to do – and when we dislike the results of a particular system, we have an opportunity to change the system itself so it will deliver different results. Many of us care deeply about this work and have worked to create the system we have been using. I see our current work as an opportunity to make changes to our system together that will help lead to the results we want to see for our workforce, and most importantly for the children and families in Vermont.

I’ve created this document to provide information about opportunities for you to participate in this process and share your perspective about the early childhood professional development system. One way you can make your voice heard is by joining one of the Field Conversations I’ll be holding over the summer and fall as I travel around Vermont to learn about individual and regional professional development needs across the state. If you haven’t heard about a meeting near you, contact your local BBF Regional Coordinator or VB5 Regional Manager for more information. Please also feel welcome to email me at becky.millard@ccv.edu.

I hope you’re all having a wonderful summer and I look forward to talking with you soon.

Sincerely,

Becky Millard, Director
Early Childhood Professional Development System
Community College of Vermont

How can you get involved?

early childhood system chart

Advisory Group:

• 10 members selected by CCV and CDD with strong input from PPD membership
  • Short-term transition group meeting monthly through December, facilitated by Becky Millard
  • Primary focus: Guiding the system through its transition process through January 2018.

Integration Workgroup:

• Large membership, self-selected participation based on interest in the topic
  • Long-term group meeting biweekly in Barre (conference line also available)
  • Facilitated by Natalie Whitfield, Personnel Development Coordinator, Children’s Integrated Services. Contact natalie.whitfield@partner.vermont.gov for more information or to join.
  • Primary focus: Exploring opportunities to integrate the different systems and professional development needs of our early childhood workforce including CIS and AOE.

Professional Preparation and Development Committee:

• Large membership, self-selected participation based on interest in the topic; one of the Building Bright Futures Statewide Committees / Early Childhood Action Plan Committees
  • Long-term group meeting five times per year at various locations across the state
  • Currently facilitated by Jen Knauer, Consultant. Contact jenknauer@gmail.com to join.
  • Primary focus: “To develop, coordinate, and promote a comprehensive system of quality learning opportunities for current and prospective early childhood and afterschool professionals.” At meetings this fall, will be examining its structure in order to provide effective support and governance to the Early Childhood Professional Development System, with CCV and CDD.

Field Conversations:
If you’d like to participate in an informal conversation about the system, Becky is travelling around the state meeting with providers and folks working in the system to hear about individual and regional professional development needs across Vermont. If you haven’t heard about a meeting near you, contact your local BBF Regional Coordinator or VB5 Regional Manager.
If none of these options appeals to you or you just want to share a thought or comment directly, send an email to becky.millard@ccv.edu

Vermont Map

CCV – Vermont Is Our Campus

No matter where you live in Vermont, a CCV Academic Center is close to you!

• “When I started at CCV I was a nervous wreck. Now I feel more confident in the direction CCV is taking me.”

JoAnne Kidd Human Services
    CCV-St. Albans